Galaga: Damn addictive space battles! (PS4)

My gaming goal for 2019 is to experience more classic games.

I grew up with a Megadrive, and I'd say I've experienced a decent number of excellent titles from that era onward.

But there are so many others out there that I haven't - particularly from the generations before (and titles from the platforms I didn't have but now have the chance to revisit).

With that in mind, I downloaded a triple pack of arcade titles in a PS4 sale before Christmas. It contained Galaga, Pac-Man and Dig Dug.

And while they might not reflect the true arcade experience, I've been really enjoying them!
Out of the three I've developed a bit of an odd addiction to Galaga, which originally came out in the early 1980s.

I'd never played it before, but when opening it up I was immediately familiar with the style of the gameplay.

You control a spaceship which can move horizontally at the bottom of the screen and you shoot waves of enemies at the top of the screen. Sound familiar?

The nice thing here though, is that this game has its own little spin on the genre and the enemies find ways to trick you (or they do me, at least).

While they do fall into a formation eventually, they fly onto the screen in groups and on a variety of paths which gives you a chance to knock a few out before they get into position.

As the game goes on, they also increase their offensive capabilities by firing at you as they fly in or a few might peel off and try to dive at you.
My attempts so far have taught me that you're best not to destroy certain enemies while they are 'idle' at the top of the screen as there are extra points to be had in picking them off when they are on the move.

Other than a few additional features - such as the possibility to join two ships together to double your firepower and several 'challenging stages' which test your reflexes - that's really the core of it.

And it's just addictive as hell! It's probably the game I came back to the most right through Christmas and it's still got me hooked now.

This is definitely worth picking up if you're a PS4 owner. Even off sale and on its own, it costs just a few pounds.

I liked it so much, I got the Namco Museum Arcade Pac in a Nintendo Switch sale too. It contains the three arcade titles above plus many more, including Galaga 88!

I've refrained from getting stuck into the newer title yet though. I want to perfect my technique and get a better high score on the original, so just one more go. Ok, maybe one or two more...

Have you played Galaga? Let me know your thoughts below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)