Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

I love a good Metroidvania game. There's something about the gradual unfolding and filling in of the map that feels so satisfying, coupled with the potential for all kinds of discoveries.

Hollow Knight had intrigued me some time ago when I saw a little bit of gameplay.

I seem to remember being captured by its style, but to be honest I hadn't realised then that it too fell into the Metroidvania genre - imagine my delight when I found that out!

So far I'm about 15 hours through the game and I know I probably still have a LONG journey ahead of me, but I thought I'd share my thoughts so far!

First things first, this game is gorgeous. It manages to simultaneously be dark and foreboding, yet cute and fun - a style I kept telling myself was 'beautifully bleak'.

The characters of Hollow Knight are very nicely animated - particularly the NPCs, of which there are many. They have their own mannerisms and expressions which are very pleasing to watch.


Its soundtrack is lovely as well. In some ways it is quite a melancholy score, but it fits the world to a tee and when the action gets heavy it will have you on the edge of your seat.

Prior to playing I saw a lot of people had likened Hollow Knight to Dark Souls, which is always interesting and tells me that I'm going to die a lot.

Since starting out on my adventure I have indeed died plenty of times, but I keep coming back for more - because the game is definitely challenging, but ultimately fair.

Death is only a sign that you need more practice  (or perhaps to adjust your approach) and somewhat like the souls games, returning to the site of your death offers you a chance to regain something you have lost.

In Hollow Knight's case that includes your money (which is called Geo) and full use of your soul meter, which you need to use abilities.

Controls are spot on and responsive. There are a few things you'll need to factor in as you learn to swing your nail (primary weapon) though - such as the reach of your attacks and the slight knock-back they cause.


Your strategy can be changed by equipping charms, which can be bought or found hiding across Hollow Knight's sprawling map.

They bestow certain perks or abilities, but you can only use so many at once so tweaking your setup and finding that perfect combination for your situation or playstyle keeps things interesting.

Exploration in this game is pure joy. As you map out new areas you'll come across many blocked paths, out of reach ledges, locked doors - all of which beckon you back as you obtain the relevant abilities and items to overcome them.

As I explained above, that's one of my favorite things about the Metroidvania genre and I've had so many "Eureka!" and "Aha!" moments in Hollow Knight so far, where I spent a little while backtracking to look for my next path of advancement only to realise it had been staring me in the face.

Progression through the game, for me so far at least, feels pretty organic. As long as you take your time, properly explore the areas you're finding and keep tabs on possible avenues to return to later I don't think you can go far wrong.

I have to also point out that I have thoroughly enjoyed the bosses I've taken on so far. Though many of them have trashed me several times over, they're very charismatic and really keep you on your toes which makes defeating them all the more rewarding.

Price wise, this game offers crazy value for money. It's an absolute  steal at  £10.99, and that's without any discounts!

I've paid two or three times that price for games which have lasted about half the time I've currently put into Hollow Knight, so in my opinion it is definitely worth your money.
As I say at about 15 hours in, I am aware I still have MUCH to see and do in Hollow Knight and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

I've tried to keep this fairly spoiler free but perhaps I'll revisit it once I complete it and talk in more detail about particular bosses/areas of interest/characters/plot points.

Until then folks, thanks for reading!


And if you've played Hollow Knight I'd love to hear your thoughts below!

Comments

  1. First thing i agree with everything you said and the game is beautiful and the fact i waited to play it on switch since that was the main reason i wanted a switch and when i bought it, i told everyone i know to leave me alone a couple of days and the free dlc just makes the game better. The story if you're going the true ending route makes it so good since when you're playing a game with multiple endings sometimes will make a person upset or maybe they'll look forward to it but definitely try this title out especially if you love metrovania type of games also the ost is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for your thoughts! I really like it on the Switch, being able to take it anywhere is such a bonus :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)