Pinstripe: short, sweet and stylish adventure (Switch)

Pinstripe is a game which intrigued me from the moment I saw the Game Grumps play it more than a year or so ago.

I don't know why, but stylish puzzle platformers just hook me in - and this game is certainly stylish.

Created by Thomas Brush, Pinstripe sees you take control of an ex-minister named Ted who must journey through the depths of Hell to rescue his daughter.
The first thing which struck me about the game was its looks - there's a lovely unique art style on display here which immediately captured my attention. It's kind of bleak, but in a beautiful way.

The music was fitting for the game, but for me it wasn't the most memorable element. The voice acting however was great - definitely a standout.

Along the  way you'll meet several NPCs voiced by different Youtube and internet personalities including Pewdiepie, Jacksepticeye and Ross O'Donovan.

I have to say, Ross was easily my favorite in his role as the dreary Mr Dicky but I'm probably biased, having enjoyed (in addition to his own stuff) his appearances in Game Grumps as well as on the Youtube channel of Commander Holly - who is also awesome and well worth a watch by the way.

Gameplay wise, Pinstripe offers a combination of relatively simple platforming tasks, a variety of puzzles and some light exploration with combat.
Combat is projectile based and sees Ted wield a catapult, with him firing in the direction of a freely movable crosshair at your command.

As I played I really felt one the most compelling elements, in addition to the characters, was the story.

There was a sense of dread and urgency about the plot as with each milestone I reached I was reminded that the fate of Ted's daughter hung in the balance.

Despite needing to get to her as soon as possible however, I really did enjoy taking the time to drink in each of the hauntingly beautiful scenes I was passing through.

Duration-wise, this isn't a hugely long adventure. I completed my first playthrough in just a few hours - however I believe there may be some more to experience in a second playthrough, which I will certainly be doing.

Overall I'd say this is a short, sweet and stylish adventure which is well worth playing.

Have you played Pinstripe? Let me know what you thought of it below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)