VVVVVV: Tricky platforming action! (3DS/Steam)

VVVVVV is a game I return to from time to time, mainly when I'm looking for a break from heavier and longer adventures.

Designed by Terry Cavanagh, VVVVVV is a 2D side scrolling platformer which puts you in control of Captain Viridian, whose crew has disappeared from her starship.

Her five missing colleagues, all of whom have names beginning with V (hence the title!), are scattered around an open map full of immensely dangerous traps and brain bending challenges.

But where this game differs from other platform titles is its central mechanic - Viridian doesn't jump to get around.


Instead, hitting the 'jump' button will cause gravity to invert and she'll go soaring off towards the top of the screen or vice versa.

This system sounds simple but it really changes the way you approach problems during the course of your adventure.

Just when you think you've got the hang of that, VVVVVV will layer on the traps - including spikes, spikes, some enemies which travel on a set path, more spikes, projectile things, a few more spikes - you get the idea. Lots of spikes.

You're free to pursue the crew members in any order from the start and each of them require some tricky moves to reach.


Death occurs after one hit - but fortunately there are checkpoints everywhere and Viridian respawns within about a second, meaning failures are never really too frustrating because you can keep trying until you perfect your approach.

Visually, VVVVVV keeps things very basic. But to be honest, I love this aesthetic - there's beauty in its simplicity.

Audio wise, this game has a FANTASTIC soundtrack. I'm rubbish at describing/categorising different types and genres of music, but if I had to try I'd say It's a gorgeous selection of chiptune style tracks which will blow your mind as you explore VVVVVV's dangerous world.

The main quest is not massively long - if you're just after the crew that is. There are also shiny trinkets to be found in some very hard to reach locations if you're looking for a real challenge.


I rescued four out of the five crew on my 3DS whilst I waited to meet someone, and I think that was a duration of about 30 to 45 minutes.

Of course I have played it through a few times on both Steam and 3DS, so while I'm in no way an expert I do have a good idea of where to go now. I forget how long it took me the first  time around but I don't think it was more than a few hours.

There is however some additional content for those who want more - I noticed this on my 3DS version but I assume it's on the other versions too.

This consists of extra  levels and challenges and was a welcome addition.

In a nutshell, this game is well worth your time - particularly if you're looking for a challenging platformer which breaks away from the standard formula.

Have you played VVVVVV? Let me know what you thought below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)