Inside: Delightfully gripping and dark (PS4)

Inside is a game I'd heard of quite some time before getting round to playing it.

And while I did see some bits of gameplay on channels like Game Grumps, I purpousely steered clear of watching lengthy videos because I wanted  to experience it for myself first.

I'm glad I did, because just like with their previous game Limbo, independent game developer Playdead has created a completely unique and shockingly memorable adventure with Inside.

I'll try to avoid dropping any major spoilers regarding what the game has in store for you.

Our adventure begins with a young boy alone in a dangerous environment and like Limbo, we must guide him safely through a series of deadly situations and traps.

To me, the game has a sombre but somehow beautiful look. Many of the environments are dark and dreary, which only adds to the atmosphere and sense of foreboding.

Animations are amazingly smooth, particularly those of the boy. His movements feel very lifelike and fluid - for example when he stumbles or trips.

Gameplay wise, Inside is a linear experience - with your main mission being to keep pushing forward.

Doing this takes a certain amount of experimentation. Our protagonist will die in one hit if you come into contact with any number of dangers.

Some of these seek you out, some are environmental and some come about because of (in my case) clumsiness.
Fortunately you'll quickly reload just a short distance back so you can continue experimenting until you find the right approach.

Inside does some fascinating things with its puzzles. Again, I won't spoil anything because some are pretty surprising when you realise what you have to do.

But the solutions are really quite intuitive and none of the puzzles ever feel unfair or outside the logic of the situation.

There's a limited amount of abilities at your disposal with the 'interact' button (push, pull, lift, press for example) which means you just need to look at the problem and apply your skills in the right way.

As you journey across the bleak landscape of Inside you'll come across some truly dark and shocking scenes - many of which will have you right on the edge of your seat.

There's a lot happening in this game and to be perfectly honest, having reached the end I feel there's much I still don't understand.


I'll be doing some reading around to see what others made of the meaning behind it no doubt!

Inside isn't a terribly long game, but I don't mind that.

Better to have something short and impactful which stays with you, than adding extra content to elongate the run time in my opinion.

I reached the end in a few hours, but there are secrets to find so I'll certainly be adding it to me list to replay in the future.

All in all, this is a stunning game and one not to be missed! It makes me want to replay Limbo again, which I may be doing soon as it came with this game in a double pack!

Have you played Inside? Let me know what you thought below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)