Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)

I found Defunct on sale for £4 recently and having seen videos of its high speed gameplay, I just couldn't resist.

The game, by studio Freshly Squeezed, is described as an "indie adventure game with a focus on flow, speed and an engaging world".

You take control of a little wheeled robot who must catch up to the ship he falls out of at the start of the game.

To do this, you have to utilize the many hills, boosts and slopes to pick up speed and really tear through a variety of areas.

Defunct has a very nice momentum based system where our character can use a "gravitize" engine to maximize speed when going downhill.

Applying this when travelling uphill will drain your speed however, so it's important to get your technique right if you don't want to be trundling through areas at a snail's pace.

It took me a few tries to get the hang of it but once I did I was pretty much flying over entire sections as I launched off slopes and made use of the character's limited boost and rocket jump.
When you get into the flow, it feels great to zip along at that pace - but there are things you'll miss such as the limited number of collectibles scattered around.

There are times when you do have to slow down and solve a few puzzles by pressing buttons in order to open the way to the next area too.

If you want to get technical, there are more complicated paths with ramps and bounce pads instead of the direct downhill routes.

Some of these lead to collectibles, but these can be fiddly as you first get used to the game's feel and mechanics.

Visually, Defunct looks lovely - particularly in the vibrant green areas, but generally the other areas all look very nice too.


It made me think of a Sonic game and I have to echo what I have seen many say in relation to this title - if a Sonic game were to be made with this sort of mechanic it could be very interesting and fun indeed.

The only downside I really found with Defunct was its length. I wasn't expecting a huge game for £4 but I reached the end of the main story/adventure mode in about an hour or two and I wasn't really rushing.

There is some more content after completing the game though - you are able to revisit areas to see if you can find those collectibles you missed and it seems some new areas unlock with extra challenges.

It would have been nice to keep the adventure going a little longer but I'd rather play a shorter game with a genuinely fun idea than a longer and more bland one, for sure.

Have you played Defunct? Let me know your thoughts below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)