Sonic Mania Plus: Classic Sonic goodness! (PS4)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first Megadrive title my parents bought me, alongside Aladdin.

And as good as the latter game was (movie tie-ins were often quite good back then!) it was Sonic 2 and then the subsequent games in the series which completely dominated my childhood and my memories of it since.

I still adore the original games to this day and while I did have fun with some of the later 3D games, I've always known that the classic 2D titles were the true Sonic experience.

So I was absolutely delighted when Sonic Mania came along a few years back and took the series back to the classic gameplay style and aesthetic.

It wasn't until last year that I picked up Sonic Mania Plus for the PS4 - and oh boy, am I glad I did.

Our heroes Tails, Ray, Sonic, Knuckles and Mighty

First things first we have mania mode, which is a straight forward start to finish classic Sonic experience.

It sees our chosen hero (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or one of the extra characters revived from Sonic's early days Mighty or Ray) make their way through a variety of increasingly difficult zones.

Roughly two thirds of the zones come from previous Sonic titles (Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Lava Reef to name a few) while the remaining third are completely new locations.

So is two thirds of this adventure just lifted from previous games?

No - don't worry. I feared that too, but what the developers have done here is provide a slice of each of those levels which feels faithful to the original version (usually in the first act) but then they cleverly tweak and enhance the rest.

For example, not only are they laid out differently, but in some cases you could run into enemies that come from completely different areas but have been re-purposed for where you find them.

Some levels even introduce completely new mechanics to use while you explore them and there are noticeable visual and graphical changes to give the revisited zones a fresh feel.
The dream team flying in to Mirage Saloon Zone

Each of the five playable characters have their own abilities - Sonic, Tails and Knuckles I'm sure you're familiar with, but Mighty can slam the ground to damage enemies and even reveal hidden areas, while Ray can glide somewhat like Mario does with a cape.

Gameplay wise, this feels so classic Sonic it's fantastic. Controls are slick and responsive, making dashing through the zones as exciting as it was back in the Megadrive days.

Bosses are interesting and diverse in their strategies and the difficulty curve feels right for a Sonic game.

I have to say I really like the special stage design. It reminds me of the special stages from Sonic CD and it becomes damn tricky in no time!

Also, the game's littered with nice nods to Sonic characters and moments from the past, which is really appreciated.

Everything looks amazing and vibrant, and the soundtrack is phenomenal. Revisited stages feature nice remasters and remixes of the classic tunes, while the new level soundtracks fit right in.
Knuckles explores the new Press Garden Zone

The 'Plus' version of Sonic Mania comes with Mighty and Ray, as mentioned above, but also a new way to play called encore mode.

This is one I have yet to fully explore, but from what I have picked up in my limited play of it, instead of collecting lives, you add another character to your roster - meaning that when you die as Sonic (for example) you respawn as Tails, or Knuckles.

It appears there are item boxes which allow you to switch characters as you make your way through the levels too - which as a mechanic seems pretty fun, as I imagine it will keep you on your toes by changing the playstyle on a rolling basis.

Overall this is a fantastic adventure which really pays tribute to Sonic's golden years while introducing some new elements. Lets hope there's more to come!

Have you played Sonic Mania Plus? Let me know what you thought below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)