Night In The Woods: a beautiful story-driven adventure (Switch)

I do love a game which has a very definite style of its own.

By that I mean that when I think back after playing, it really stands apart from others in its genre because of its unique style, story, or other elements.

For example, such games for me include titles like FEZ, Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight and now - unquestionably - Night In The Woods.

I'd managed to avoid seeing most gameplay for this title before picking it up and I am so glad I did.
Night In The Woods is best played with no prior knowledge.
Our main character, Mae
It is a story driven platform/adventure-type game with an intriguing plot, gorgeous art style and a very likable cast of characters.

I will try not to give anything away, but in case I do, potential minor spoilers ahead!

At the start of the game you'll step into the shoes of Mae, a young college dropout who has returned to her home town of Possum Springs.

Venturing around the  town, you'll have a chance to catch up with all of Mae's old friends and get reacquainted with the other residents.

But as you do, it will soon become apparent that all is not as it seems in Possum Springs - strange things are afoot and before you know it you're tugging at the threads of a widening mystery.

One of the most  pleasantly surprising things about Night in The Woods was the characters.

The residents are very well written and really have their own way of communicating with Mae - particularly her friends Bea, Gregg and Angus.

Their interactions were wonderful to watch because I really bought into their friendship.

Each of them has their own drastically different outlook on the world and problems to deal with - including Mae, whose struggles and their origins become clearer as you journey onwards.

And with Mae being (on the surface at least) a bit of an asshole at times, it was as engrossing to see some of the rockiest moments as it was to see the most joyous, in addition to how they resolve themselves.

Something I was really impressed with was how the game explores some pretty hard hitting real life issues such as grief and loss, mental health and economic difficulties.

Visually, Night In The Woods is a real treat. It has a style of its own and there are some (at times hauntingly) beautiful scenes to discover across Possum Springs.


I also found the music to be very fitting and relaxing.

I have absolutely no qualms about the controls - everything is smooth. Most of the time is spent exploring at a fairly leisurely pace and the few times the game does require you to do some platforming, it's always achievable.

I have the feeling there might be more options to explore in subsequent playthroughs, so I'll be doing that for sure!

As I say, I don't want to give away too much so I'll leave it there. Overall this is a captivating story of adventure and intrigue. It's definitely one to play.

Have you played this absolute gem? Let me know what you thought of it below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PS4)