Dandara: a delightfully unconventional Metroidvania (Switch)

I knew from the moment I saw the trailer that I'd like Dandara - not just because I love Metroidvania games, but because it looked fundamentally different to anything I'd played before.

I mean, how often do you come across titles in this genre where your only traversal option is leaping from floor to wall to ceiling and back?

That's right. Dandara - created by two-man Brazilian studio Long Hat House and published by Raw Fury - doesn't allow you to walk around like your typical Metroidvania, but we'll come back to that.

A brief into sequence sets the scene, in which our hero Dandara awakens to a world facing oppression.

She must fight against that oppression "one leap at a time" as the trailer explains, which is all the motivation I needed to get out there and fill in every blank I could find on the map.

I understand the inspirations for some of the characters in Dandara are rooted in history including the protagonist herself, whose real-life namesake was a Brazilian warrior.


The game looks beautiful. Victor Leão has done a superb job on Dandara's visuals.

Each area really has its own character and mood. Everything is very nicely and smoothly animated as well.

Sound wise, it boasts a great soundtrack by Thommaz Kauffmann which really fits the feel of the adventure.

From dreamy tracks as you explore the many winding avenues the game has in store to tense boss battles, his music really enhances the atmosphere throughout your journey.

On to gameplay, Dandara's most unique point is its method of movement.

In lieu of walking and running, our hero can launch herself to and from certain designated surfaces.

Once you land, you can attack and use a range of offensive and defensive abilities but you're essentially anchored until you leap again.

I imagine this might initially seem limiting to some. One person even told me the control scheme made the game "unplayable".

Let me ask you - would you expect to drive a car perfectly on your first lesson?

Of course not. You're probably stamping on the wrong pedals, mashing the gears and stalling all over the place.

But if you put some time in, get to know the feel and the workings of the machine, you'll soon be a competent driver.

The same is true with Dandara. At first I felt a little all over the place, dashing into enemies, landing on dangerous terrains, rushing into the path of bullets...

But practice makes perfect. In no time at all I came to really like the movement and the more I played the smoother it felt.

Not only does it set Dandara apart from the countless other Metroidvania titles out there, it completely changes how you approach confrontations.

You can't always just zip in, blast away and hope for the best. Believe me, I've tried that and more often than not it results in lots of life lost or even a quick game over in some of the more dangerous areas.

Enemies continually present different threats as you progress, which means you need to keep evolving your battle plan or face the consequences.

Dandara's standard attack needs a fraction of a second to charge too, which adds another layer of timing and consideration.

So in short you need to keep your eye on enemies, stray bullets, lasers and other environmental hazards before you make the jump.

Exploration wise, my adventure felt pretty organic and at no point did I really feel lost.

As is pretty standard with a Metroidvania, you'll gain upgrades which allow you to reach new areas and the map does a good job of marking different barriers out so you know where you're able to go next.

There are plenty of hidden treasures and upgrades to be found off the beaten track for those who are willing to take some risks too.

In terms of difficulty, Dandara feels harsh but fair. I died plenty of times, but like any good game this felt like a lack of skill on my part rather than an unfair or unrealistic challenge.

It took me a good ten hours to beat at a leisurely pace and I know there are secrets I didn't find, so a second playthrough will definitely be in order and I look forward to it.

All in all, Dandara is a stunning and fresh addition to the Metroidvania genre. It's an absolute treat to play from start to finish and I'd highly recommend it.

Have you played Dandara? Let me know what you thought below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PS4)