Games I just can't bring myself to complete!

Have you ever been playing a game and even though you might be loving it, you eventually put it down and never return to finish it?

I imagine that's a familiar situation for a lot of gamers - I know it's true for me!

Here are some of the games I just can't bring myself to finish, but hope to return to one day. Let me know if any of yours crop up here.


1) Final Fantasy XIII
Some of you may not blame me for this one. I know this game divides  people - and let me say from the start, I'm a massive fan of the titles which came before it.

I must have made at least four attempts to play through FFXIII (to the dismay of my wife, who lovingly refers to the game as "garbage" ^_^).

Every time try, I get a good 20 or so hours in but my enthusiasm fizzles out and I end up letting it go.

It feel like a much more linear game than the other Final Fantasy titles, at least for the first part, and has been labelled a "hallway simulator" by some.

These long linear stretches are broken up by battles of course, but also with a lot of dialogue - some of which feels a bit unnecessary and ends up testing my patience.

Despite this, I still really want to like it and give it a fair chance because it does have an interesting battle/jobs system so I do intend to finish it one day.

2) Grand Theft Auto V (or any GTA game, really)
I've owned this for years and it's absolutely fantastic fun.

There's so much to do that there's surely something in it for everyone - whether it's following the story of its three main protagonists as they get themselves into increasingly dangerous situations or pursuing the game's many side missions and activities.

Or, if you're like me, you'll spend most of your time arsing around just stealing cars and instigating adrenaline-pumping police chases which end in dramatic fashion.

The problem with GTA V for me is that it's just too much fun to do your own thing. So while it's an absolute belter of a game, I've just never sat down to get through (what I imagine is roughly) the last third of the story.

3) Just Cause 3
This game has the GTA V problem, in that it's just too much fun to do your own thing.

I did quite a few of the story missions but eventually I found claiming the many regions in my own creative and acrobatic way more entertaining.

I actually liberated the whole of the map and must have spent upwards of 20 to 30 (maybe even more) hours just zipping around causing chaos because it's just so damn fun and rewarding to pull off amazing stunts with the wingsuit or jets.

Eventually, I sold the game without having completed the story because I just knew I wasn't going to be bothered doing it. Great game though - weird eh?


4) Elder Scrolls III, IV, V
I'm lumping these together because although they're all different adventures with their own unique features, to me they have the same sort of problem.

It's not lack of interest or commitment which makes me put these down - I don't even know how many hours I must have put into these over the years (particularly Morrowind and Oblivion).

It's just that there's an absolute mountain of things to see and do in these games other than the central story.

So much so in fact that I end up being pretty much satisfied with the outcomes of my own adventures as opposed to the main quests and then my next big game comes along to steal my attention.


5) Pikmin
This one really is puzzling, because I love the concept and mechanics of Pikmin.

Controls are great, the action and strategy elements are fun and engaging - at times even delightfully tense.

But this is another game I've had a few serious goes at completing, only to put it down after about half/two thirds of the in game days have passed.

I've even let it drift away after making a great start and getting ahead of my target ratio of days passed to ship parts recovered. Baffling! One day Pikmin, one day...


What games have you been meaning to beat for too long? Let me know below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)