Guts and Glory: fun danger simulator (Switch)

Hey all! Hope you're well. It's been a good week or two since I last posted - busy times. Ah well, here's the first of two games I've been playing lately!

Having seen a little gameplay, I had a rough idea of what to expect from Guts and Glory.
An obstacle course with deadly traps, a selection of vehicles and hilarious looking rag doll physics? Count me in!

Yep, that's a poo hat I'm wearing... couldn't resist.

I picked up Guts and Glory on the Nintendo Switch for about £6 (on sale) and soon had it downloaded.

There is a lot of fun to be had with this game, but it's far from perfect in my opinion.

It starts out nice and easy as you learn the controls and get to grips with what is possible, then begins to pile on the hazards.

You'll go from a peaceful bicycle ride to avoiding cannonballs, mines, arrows and saws in no time and the results of your failures can be very funny to watch unfold.

Actions are mapped pretty simply to the buttons but overall - depending on the character/vehicle you choose - while they are not BAD, controls can feel a bit jerky at times.

Now of course I didn't go into this expecting a realistic experience of driving/cycling/other modes of travel  - for instance, one of the characters flies a gas powered flying chair! On a side note, he's by far my favourite, he cracks me up.

But at times the way some characters respond to the player's input just makes completing some of the more finicky tasks feel a little like threading a needle while riding a horse (or a gas powered chair).

There are a variety of different locations which all bring their own types of challenges and the ability to choose a different characters/vehicles on most levels (including traditional cars, motorbike, quad bike, pushbike and more) which keeps it interesting and presents different ways to tackle the challenges.

I can't really be sure if this is just the Switch version, but unfortunately when there's a lot happening on screen, which is often, things can slow right down and get pretty choppy.

Driving very carefully between the mines...
Overall though, even though Guts and Glory has its issues I would say the game is a lot of fun in small doses and the good definitely outweighs the bad.

Have you played Guts and Glory? Let me know how you found it below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' After Life (Netflix)

Hollow Knight: Absolute Metroidvania joy (Switch)

Defunct: High speed fun! (Switch)